You can start as a passenger assistant or conductor and move into driving work after taking company training.
How to become a Tram driver
You can get into this job through:
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You could apply to tram operating companies for tram driver training.
You'll usually need a driving licence to apply. Experience as a bus, coach or train driver would be useful but is not essential.
You can find out more about careers in passenger transport from Careers That Move.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- customer service skills
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- knowledge of public safety and security
- sensitivity and understanding
- Being able to use a computer terminal or hand-held device may be beneficial for this job.
Restrictions and requirements
You'll need to:
- pass a medical check
- be screened for drugs and alcohol
- have a full UK or EU driving licence, held for at least 12 months
What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- carrying out equipment checks at the start of your shift
- driving the tram along set routes
- picking up and dropping off passengers at tram stops
- keeping in radio contact with the control room for up-to-date route information
- making passenger announcements (this may be automated)
- writing up reports on any incidents that happened during your shift
You could work from a vehicle.
Your working environment may be noisy.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could move into a supervisory role, like depot manager or route manager.
With further training you could become a driving trainer, teaching new staff how to drive trams.
Apprenticeships In England
- Wage : £18,000.00 - £21,000.00 Annually
- Location: Barnsley S71 1NU
- Wage : £324.80 - £464.00 Weekly
- Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne NE2 1QQ
Courses In England
Are you interested in becoming a Tram driver?
Search for training courses near you.