How to become a landscaper
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- applying directly
- a specialist training course
You could take a college course to get some of the skills you might need as a landscaper.
You could do a:
- Level 1 Diploma in Skills for Working in Horticulture Industries
- Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture
- Level 3 Certificate or Diploma in Horticulture
- T Level in Agriculture, Land Management and Production
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
You could do an apprenticeship to start or progress as a landscaper.
You could do a:
- horticulture and landscape operative intermediate apprenticeship
- landscape supervisor advanced apprenticeship if you have already have some experience
- horticulture and landscaping technical manager higher apprenticeship to progress to become a landscaping project manger or site manager
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship
You could start as an assistant landscaper and work your way up.
It might be helpful to have some related work experience when you apply for jobs.
There are no set requirements to be a landscaper. However, most employers will expect you to have some knowledge and experience in horticulture.
You could take a course with the Royal Horticultural Society to learn more about gardening or get a qualification that will help you get a job.
Professional and industry bodies
You can apply to become a member of the British Association of Landscape Industries for advice about jobs.
You can find out more about becoming a landscaper from: