How to become a horticultural manager
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- a graduate training scheme
You could do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in a subject like:
- horticulture and management
- commercial horticulture
- horticulture and plant science
Work experience during university
Employers value work experience so it's important to get as much as you can during your studies.
You could choose a course that includes a placement or internship. Your university careers service can also help you find work experience.
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
You could work towards this role by doing a college course in a relevant subject like:
- level 3 Diploma in Horticulture
- level 3 Certificate in Practical Horticulture
- T Level in Agriculture, Land Management and Production
- level 4 Diploma in Horticultural Practice
You could also get a qualification from the Royal Horticulture Society.
You'll usually need:
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
- 1 or 2 A levels, a level 3 diploma or relevant experience for a level 4 or level 5 course
You could do a horticulture supervisor advanced apprenticeship to work towards a management role.
There are no set entry requirements but it may help you to get in if you have:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could start as a horticultural worker to get experience and work your way up to a management role.
Some larger companies have graduate schemes working with fresh food, produce and crops.
Professional and industry bodies
You can find out more about careers in horticulture from the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB).