How to become a customer service assistant
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You can take a college course before applying for a job.
Courses are widely available and include a Level 1 Certificate in Customer Service or a Level 2 Certificate in Contact Centre Operations.
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You can do a customer service intermediate apprenticeship or a customer service specialist advanced apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You can apply for jobs if you have customer service experience, for example from working in a shop, hotel or contact centre.
Employers might want you to have:
- some GCSEs or equal qualifications
- good communication skills
- a friendly personality
Professional and industry bodies
You could join The Institute of Customer Service for professional development training.