How to become a waiter
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could prepare for this job by doing a college course to get some of the skills you'll need. Courses include:
- Level 1 Award in Introduction to Employment in the Hospitality Industry
- Level 1 Certificate in Food and Beverage Service
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Food and Beverage Service
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could do the Hospitality Team Member Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply for waiter jobs without experience as you'll get training on the job.
You might have an advantage if you've worked in customer service before.
You can find out more about working in hospitality from Careerscope.