How to become a waiter
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could prepare for this job by doing a college course to get some of the skills you'll need. Courses include:
- Level 1 Award in Introduction to Employment in the Hospitality Industry
- Level 1 Certificate in Food and Beverage Service
- Level 2 Diploma in Professional Food and Beverage Service
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could get into this job through a hospitality team member intermediate apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply for jobs without experience, though you'll have an advantage if you've worked in customer service before. Your employer will train you on the job.
You can get more details about working as a waiter from the Hospitality Guild.