How to become a translator
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- applying directly
- a qualification with a professional body
You'll usually need a degree or postgraduate qualification in translation.
Relevant degrees include:
- languages - courses which specialise in linguistics or translation may give you an advantage but are not essential
- combined degrees which include a subject like law or science with languages
You could also do a postgraduate course like an master's in translation or translation studies.
You'll usually need:
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study
Language translation skills in demand include:
You'll find more details about becoming a translator from the Institute of Translation and Interpreting.