How to become a town planner
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- working towards this role
You'll need a degree or a postgraduate qualification accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
- planning, environment and development
- city and regional planning
- urban planning and property development
You can do postgraduate qualification in planning if you have a degree in an unrelated subject.
You'll usually need:
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in any subject for a postgraduate course
You could qualify while working as a planning technician or other support staff.
You'll need the backing of your employer and you'll combine practical experience with part-time or distance learning study towards an accredited planning qualification.
You'll find it useful to get as much work experience as possible. This will give you a better understanding of the career, and the contacts you make may help you to find paid work.
You can search for companies listed by the Royal Town Planning Institute or contact your local council to ask about opportunities.