How to become a stonemason
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- working towards this role
You could take a college course, which would teach you some of the skills needed to get a trainee job with a building company. Courses include:
- Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills
- Level 2 Diploma in Stonemasonry
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could start as a construction labourer and take further training with your employer to get a qualification in stonemasonry.
- you'll need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card or equivalent to train and work on a construction site
You can do specialist training courses if you're interested in heritage and conservation skills in stonemasonry.
You can also get more details about stonemasonary craft skills from the Crafts Council.