How to become a software developer
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- a graduate training scheme
You could do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or a degree in:
- computer science
- information technology
- software development
- financial technology
- software engineering for business
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
You could do a college course, such as:
- A Level in Computing
- Level 3 Certificate in Programming
- T Level in Digital Production, Design and Development
- Higher National Certificate in Computing
After your course, you could complete a more advanced qualification, such as a higher apprenticeship. You could also get a trainee position with a company.
You may need:
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and computing
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a higher national certificate or higher national diploma
You could do an apprenticeship such as:
- software development technician advanced apprenticeship
- software developer higher apprenticeship
- DevOps engineer higher apprenticeship
- digital and technology solutions professional or specialist degree apprenticeship
- game programmer degree apprenticeship
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship
You may be able to apply for a place on a graduate training scheme with a company if you have a degree.
These are often open to all graduates, not just people with a degree in a computing subject.
You could build up your skills and knowledge using free online learning resources for programming languages, project management and software development methods.
You can find free online courses through The Skills Toolkit.