How to become a computer games developer
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
You could do a foundation degree or degree in:
- computer games technology
- computer games development
- computer science
- interactive media
If you'd like a job that includes game design as well as programming, you could do a foundation degree or degree in a subject like animation or graphic design.
You may have an advantage when you look for work if you do a degree that includes a work placement.
You'll usually need:
- at least 1 A level, or equivalent, for a foundation degree
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
You could do a college course before a higher level qualification. It might help you to get a trainee position with a company.
Courses you could take include:
- A level in Computing
- T Level in Digital Production, Design and Development
- Higher National Diploma in Creative Media Production Games Development
You may need:
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and computing
4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T Level
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a higher national certificate or higher national diploma
You could do one of the following Higher Apprenticeships to get started in this role:
- Software Developer Level 4
- Junior VFX Artist or Assistant Technical Director Level 4
- Game Programmer Level 7
You'll usually need:
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship
You could start as a games tester if you play a lot of games.
You'll usually need an IT qualification or some relevant work experience. Employers will be interested in your talent and creativity.
You may also find it helps to have A levels or a diploma in relevant subjects like computing or media production.
You can create a portfolio of work or online demo to highlight your skills to potential employers.
You can get information on how to start creating your own games from Into Games.