The process of becoming a leader can take several years, and is often based on your knowledge, experience and position within the religion.
Each religion has a different way of training its leaders, so the training and the length of time it takes will vary. For many religions the process might include:
- study at a college or religious training centre
- intensive study of your faith's teachings and writings
- time alone in contemplation or meditation
- experience of working with people in the community
- mentoring and supervision from an experienced leader of your religion
In some religions, there are rules on who can become a leader and what duties they can carry out.
If you want to train to become a leader in your faith, the first thing you should do is ask your own religious leader for advice and guidance.