How to become a probation services officer
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You may find it helps your application if you take a college course like:
- a diploma in public services
- a qualification in youth and community work
- A levels
Entry requirements for these courses vary.
You may be able to do a probation services practitioner advanced apprenticeship.
This apprenticeship typically takes 18 months to complete.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could apply directly for job vacancies with probation services. You'll need:
- experience of working with vulnerable people or people who have challenging behaviour
- a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent qualifications
You can get experience through volunteering or paid work, or by contacting your local community rehabilitation company for opportunities.
If you're successful with your application, you'll train on the job. You'll do the Level 3 Diploma in Probation Practice during your first 12 months to qualify as a probation services officer.
You can find out more information about careers, training and job vacancies as a probation services officer from the Ministry of Justice.