How to become an optometrist
You can get into this job through a university course or by working towards this role.
To become an optometrist you'll need to:
- get a degree in optometry, approved by the General Optical Council (GOC)
- complete a pre-registration work placement which takes 1 year and you'll be supervised by a registered optometrist
- pass the GOC final assessment to qualify
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science
- 3 A levels, or equivalent, including at least 1 science
If you're working as a dispensing optician, you could retrain to become an optometrist.
You'll need to complete an approved optometry degree and pre-registration year.
You'll find it helpful to get some work experience in healthcare before you apply for a course.
You could also contact high street opticians directly for information on work experience schemes.