How to become a dispensing optician
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
You'll need to complete a course approved by the General Optical Council, and pass the Professional Qualifying Examinations from the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO).
You can qualify by taking:
- a two-year, full-time diploma course, followed by one year working under supervision
- a three-year, day release course if you're in suitable employment
- a three-year distance learning course, including a four-week residential block, offered by the ABDO - you'll need to be in suitable employment
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, including a science
- you'll need to be registered with the General Optical Council
It's helpful to get some work experience before applying to study.
Professional and industry bodies
You could join the Association of British Dispensing Opticians, for professional development and training opportunities.