You'll need to complete a course approved by the General Optical Council, and pass the Professional Qualifying Examinations from the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO).
You can qualify by taking:
- a two-year, full-time diploma course, followed by one year working under supervision
- a three-year, day release course if you're in suitable employment
- a three-year distance learning course, including a four-week residential block, offered by the ABDO - you'll need to be in suitable employment
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, including a science