How to become an online tutor
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- working towards this role
- applying directly
- private training
You may need a degree in a specialist subject depending on the level of course you plan to teach online. For example, a degree in maths to teach A level maths.
You might also need to get qualified teacher status (QTS) if you're teaching academic qualifications. Some degrees include this.
If you have a degree in a subject without QTS, you can get it by completing one of the following:
- a postgraduate teacher training course at university
- a school-based training programme
You can search for teacher training courses on GOV UK.
You'll usually need:
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study
You could do a college course like the Level 3 Award in Education and Training to get some of the skills needed for this job. This is suitable if you're not yet in a teaching role or have limited teaching hours.
You may need:
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You can usually take qualifications while you work. The exact qualification you do will depend on your job but could include the Level 4 Certificate or Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training.
You can apply to companies directly if you've got the following:
- excellent IT skills
- teaching, training or tutoring experience
- in-depth knowledge of the subject you're going to teach
You can do a course with a private training provider, and some of these can be done online. You should check courses carefully to make sure they meet your needs.
Tutors often find work through agencies or online learning platforms. Teaching time varies from a few hours a week up to full-time. Rates of pay also vary but can be between £15 to £40 and hour, depending on your experience, reputation, and the level and type of course you teach.
You can find out more about training to teach online from the Education & Training Foundation.