You can do a further education (FE) teaching qualification at university, with a higher education institution or on a work-based training programme.
- certificate in education
- postgraduate diploma in post-compulsory education and training
- postgraduate certificate in the lifelong learning sector
- postgraduate certificate in further education and training
If you want to teach work-related courses in FE, like apprenticeships, you'll need experience and a technical qualification in your chosen subject, as well as your teaching qualification. This should be at level 3 standard (national diploma or equivalent) or higher.
To teach academic qualifications, such as A levels, you'll usually need a degree in the subject.
You'll usually need:
- GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study