How to become a kennel worker
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could take a college course, for example:
- Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Animal Care
- Level 2 Diploma in Animal Management
You'll usually need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You can do an intermediate apprenticeship as an animal care and welfare assistant.
There are no set entry requirements but it may help you to get in if you have:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
There are no set qualifications for applying directly to become a kennel worker. Some employers may ask you for GCSE grades at 9 to 4 (A* to C), including maths and English.
Experience of working with animals will be useful.