How to become an animal care worker
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
You could take a college course in animal care, for example:
- Level 1 Certificate in Skills for Working in Animal Care Industries
- Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care
- T Level in Animal Care and Management
- Level 3 Award in Small Animal Care and Management
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
You can do an an animal care and welfare assistant intermediate apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
It'll help to have some experience of working with animals before you start looking for a job.
Volunteering with animal rescue, animal sanctuaries or conservation charities can sometimes lead to paid work. You may need to do jobs like fundraising or administration first, as a way to get in.
You can search for volunteering opportunities on sites like:
Some of the bigger national animal charities include:
You may be able to find smaller animal charities in your area by searching on the internet.