How to become a dog groomer
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- specialist courses run by private training organisations
You could take a course in dog grooming like:
- Level 2 Certificate for Dog Grooming Assistants
- Level 3 Certificate in Introductory Dog Grooming
- Level 3 Diploma for Dog Grooming
These are offered by colleges and private training centres.
You'll usually need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You could get into this job through an intermediate apprenticeship as an animal care and welfare assistant.
Employers will set their own entry requirements.
You could start as an assistant with a qualified and experienced dog groomer and learn on the job.
You could take a private training course to get some of the skills and knowledge needed in this job. The National Pet College has accredited some organisations to deliver professional training.
You can find out more about becoming a dog groomer from the National Pet College.