You can do a degree in an engineering or a scientific subject. Some employers may expect you to have a postgraduate qualification.
Relevant subjects include:
- mining or petroleum engineering
- energy engineering
- Earth sciences
- environmental engineering
- renewable or sustainable energy
If you're interested in postgraduate research and want to continue your studies up to PhD level, you may be able to apply for a course like an EngD.
These courses are offered by the Industrial Doctoral Centre for Offshore Renewable Energy. You would be sponsored by a company to research offshore technologies for wind, wave and tidal power.
You'll usually need:
- 3 A levels including maths and either biology, physics or chemistry
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study