How to become a community matron
You can get into this job by working towards this role or applying directly.
You can become a community matron by doing professional development training with your employer.
You'll need to be a registered nurse in any branch, or a registered health professional, for example a speech and language therapist.
You'll also need:
- to get a postgraduate master's qualification
- specialist knowledge of different nursing procedures and practice
- knowledge of long-term health conditions and treatments
- experience of managing a team
Find out more about how you can develop your nursing career through the NHS Leadership Academy.
You can apply directly if you're a registered nurse or health professional and have between 3 and 5 years' post-registration experience.
You might also need:
- a degree or postgraduate diploma in community practice, specialising in district nursing, health visiting or practice nursing
- a relevant teaching or mentoring qualification
- a nurse prescribing qualification