How to become a community matron
You can get into this job through:
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You can get into this job through professional development training with your employer.
You'll need to be a registered nurse in any branch, or other registered health professional, for example a speech and language therapist.
You'll also need:
- to study for an appropriate postgraduate master's qualification
- specialist knowledge across different nursing procedures and practice
- in-depth knowledge of long-term health conditions and treatments
- experience of leading and managing a team
You can apply directly if you're a registered nurse or health professional and have between 3 and 5 years' post-registration experience. Some employers may also ask for:
- a degree or postgraduate diploma in community practice, specialising in district nursing, health visiting or practice nursing
- a relevant teaching or mentoring qualification
- a nurse prescribing qualification