How to become a Civil Service administrative officer
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- applying directly
There are opportunities to do business related apprenticeships like:
- business administration intermediate apprenticeship
- public service operational delivery officer advanced apprenticeship
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could join the Civil Service as an administrative assistant. You'll usually need at least 2 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C).
You could then apply for a post as an administrative officer when vacancies become available.
You could apply directly to join the Civil Service as an administrative officer. You'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs. You may need A levels, or equivalent qualifications, for some administrative jobs.
You may also find it useful to have experience in related work like office administration or customer service.
As part of the application process, you'll be tested on your ability to:
- work well in a team
- communicate with others
- work with numbers