How to become a bar person
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You can take a college course to learn some of the skills and knowledge needed in this job, which will help you find work in the industry. Courses include:
- Level 1 Award in Introduction to Employment in the Hospitality Industry
- Level 1 Award in Professional Food and Beverage Service Skills
- Level 2 Certificate in Professional Food and Beverage Service
You'll usually need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could do an intermediate apprenticeship as a hospitality team member.
This will usually take 1 year to complete. You'll do on-the-job training and spend time with a college or training provider.
There are no set entry requirements but it may help you to get in if you have:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly if you've got some of the relevant skills, experience and knowledge needed for this job.
Employers will look for strong communication skills, good customer service, and the ability to work well in a team.
You can find out more about careers in the drinks trade from the: