How to become a baker
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
You can do a college course, for example:
- Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering
- Level 2 Certificate in Bakery
- Level 3 Diploma in Professional Bakery
You may need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You could start by doing an intermediate baker apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You may be able to start as a trainee or assistant in a bakery shop, supermarket or food production plant, and work your way up.