How to become a cake decorator
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You can take a course at a college. For example:
- Level 2 Certificate in Sugarcraft
- Level 2 Certificate in Professional Cake Decoration
- Level 3 Diploma in General Patisserie and Confectionary
Some colleges and adult learning centres run hobby courses in cake decorating, where you can pick up useful skills and techniques.
Entry requirements for these courses vary.
You could start as an assistant in a bakery or patisserie and do training on the job.
You could apply for jobs if you've got the right level of skills, for instance from decorating cakes for special occasions for family and friends.
If you're displaying your work online, make sure you:
- put a watermark on your images to deter others from copying them
- check copyright terms if you're using popular characters or logos in your designs
You can get more details about working in the food and drinks industry from Tasty Careers.