How to become an architectural technologist
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
You can improve your job prospects by taking an HNC, foundation degree, degree or master's qualification approved or accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
Some courses may include a 12-month industry placement. This is a good way to get practical experience and make contacts, which may help when looking for work.
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study
You could take an apprenticeship approved by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT). This will give you some of the relevant skills and knowledge to work towards this role. Apprenticeships include:
- Digital engineering technician advanced apprenticeship
- Construction design and build technician higher apprenticeship
- Design and construction management technician degree apprenticeship
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship
Employers may take you on as a trainee if you have 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and 2 A levels, in subjects like maths, science, IT and technology.
They may accept equivalent qualifications in engineering or construction, for example the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment. Level 3 courses in 3D design could also be useful.
Any experience you have using computer-aided design or working in the construction industry can help you get into this career.
Professional and industry bodies
When you've completed an approved course you can apply for associate membership of the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists. This allows you to complete the professional qualification stage of your training.
You'll find more details about becoming an architectural technologist through the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.