You could get into this job through an apprenticeship.
How to become an Accounting technician
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You could start as an accounts clerk or bookkeeper while you study to become an accounting technician.
The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) have information on accounting courses.
There are no set entry requirements to directly apply to become an accounting technician, but you'll usually need up to 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) including English and maths.
A levels in business studies, maths or economics, and work experience in accounts or finance may also be helpful.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- administration skills
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be flexible and open to change
- maths knowledge
- excellent verbal communication skills
- You will be expected to know how to use a computer and tools to benefit this job.
What you'll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- processing and paying invoices
- recording receipts and payments
- preparing and checking ledger balances and other monthly accounts
- completing and submitting tax returns, VAT returns and National Insurance contributions
- handling company expenses
- updating computerised accounting systems
You could work in an office.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could move into management or become self-employed and work on accounts for small businesses. You could also study to become a qualified accountant.
Apprenticeships In England
- Wage : Competitive salary
- Location: Preston PR4 1AX
- Wage : £27,402.00 Annually
- Location: London SW1A 2AH
Courses In England
Advanced Diploma in Accounting - Level 3 (Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) Accounting Bookkeeping finance accounts accountancy)
- Provider: Barking & Dagenham College
- Start date: 04 September 2019
- Location: Romford
Part-time Association of Accounting Technicians - Level 2 FOUNDATION Certificate in Accounting (AQ2016)
- Provider: WAKEFIELD COLLEGE
- Start date: 01 January 2019
- Location: Wakefield