How to become a textile machinery technician
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
You can take a college course, which may help you to get a trainee technician job. Courses include:
- Level 2 Certificate in Mechanical Engineering
- Level 2 Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology
- Level 3 Diploma in Equipment Maintenance Engineering
- Level 3 Diploma in Engineering
You may need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You could do a textile manufacturing intermediate apprenticeship or engineering technician advanced apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could start as a trainee maintenance technician and learn while you work. You'll usually need GCSEs in maths, English, and design and technology, or equivalent qualifications.
You can get more advice about engineering careers from Tomorrow's Engineers.