How to become a steel fixer
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could take a construction or engineering qualification at college. This could help you to find a trainee job with a company when you finish.
- Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills
- Level 2 Award in Skills for Engineering
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You may be able to do an intermediate steel fixer apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You could apply directly to work as a steel fixer. To do this, you'll usually need work-based qualifications in construction or engineering, or on-site experience.
Employers may also want you to have some GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C).