How to become a sport and exercise psychologist
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
You'll need to complete:
- a degree in psychology accredited by The British Psychological Society (BPS)
- a BPS accredited master's degree in sport and exercise psychology
- a structured supervised practice programme accredited by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
You may be able to study for an approved postgraduate conversion course, if you're a graduate in a subject other than psychology, or your psychology degree is not accredited by the BPS.
Competition for postgraduate training is strong. You'll need an upper second class or first class degree, and evidence of excellent research skills to apply. You'll also need relevant work experience.
You'll usually need:
- 3 A levels or equivalent
- a degree in any subject for a postgraduate course
- you'll need to register with the Health and Care Professions Council
Professional and industry bodies
You can join The British Psychological Society for professional development opportunities.
You'll find more details about working in sports and exercise psychology from The British Psychological Society and The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).