You would apply directly to removals companies and then receive on-the-job training. You don't need any particular qualifications to start.
How to become a removals worker
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
Experience of delivery driving or warehouse work could help.
Further informationYou can find out more about this job, including specialist training opportunities, from the British Association of Removers.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
- active listening skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- administration skills
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and Requirements
You'll need to:
- have a driving licence that includes LGV for lorries, or PCV for buses, if you work with these vehicles
- have a good level of fitness
- pass a medical check
What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- checking with customers which items are to be moved
- taking apart larger items of furniture for packing and removal
- removing doors, door frames or windows to get large pieces of furniture in or out of a building
- packing items, loading them into your vehicle and securing them safely
- driving to a new location and unloading items
You could work at a client's home, at a client's business or from a vehicle.
Career path and progressionWith experience, you could progress to specialist packer, supervisor, manager, or removals coordinator.
You could start your own company.
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a removals worker right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
- Provider: PORTULL TRAINING SERVICES LTD
- Start date: 01 October 2021
- Provider: HAVANT AND SOUTH DOWNS COLLEGE
- Start date: 13 September 2021
- Location: Waterlooville
The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.
Take an assessment to learn more about your skills and the careers that might suit you.