You'll need to complete:
- a degree in psychology or a related subject
- an accredited postgraduate qualification
- 450 hours of practice to be registered as a licensed psychotherapist by the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
Your course should be one recognised by the:
- United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy
- British Psychoanalytic Council
- Association of Child Psychotherapists
Courses can take up to 4 years to complete.
To become a child psychotherapist, you will need to complete 4 years of training with the Association of Child Psychotherapists (ACP).
You'll also need experience of working with children or vulnerable adults.
You'll usually need:
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study