How to become a Portage home visitor
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could do a foundation degree or degree in early childhood studies or child development.
You'll usually need:
- at least 1 A level, or equivalent, for a foundation degree
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
You could learn some of the skills you need for this job through a college course like:
- Level 2 Certificate in Special Educational Needs and Disability
- Level 3 Diploma in Early Years Education and Care
- T Level in Education and Early Years
You may need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
You could do an Early Years Educator Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in a school or nursery before moving into Portage work.
This can take around 1 year and 6 months to complete.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could apply directly to employers if you've got experience of working with children aged 0 to 4 years, and knowledge of early childhood development and special needs.
You may also need one of the following:
- a relevant professional qualification in teaching, social work or nursing
- a level 2 or 3 early years qualification
- a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in early childhood studies
You could do a Portage Workshop led by a National Portage Association accredited trainer. This might be a good way for you to find out more about the role and get an insight into the skills and training you may need.
Professional and industry bodies
You could join the National Portage Association for training and networking opportunities.
You can find out more about working as a Portage home visitor from the National Portage Association.