How to become a playworker
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You could prepare for this job by doing a qualification like:
- Level 2 Award in Outdoor Play Practice
- Level 2 Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce
- Level 3 Diploma in Children's Play, Learning and Development
- T Level in Education and Childcare
A first aid certificate might also be useful.
You may need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
You can start as a playgroup assistant and get qualifications while you work.
You can volunteer with a playgroup to build up your experience of working with children. This can often lead into paid work.
You can apply for a playwork job if you're already a qualified childcare worker. You can also do the Level 3 Award in Transition to Playwork qualification to help with this.
You'll find more details on working in childcare from the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years.