You'll need to get a childcare qualification, and get certificates in health and safety, and safeguarding.
How to become a Childminder
You can get into this job through:
- setting up your own business
If you want to care for children under 8 for more than 2 hours a day, you'll need to register with Ofsted.
Before you register, you'll usually need:
- a childcare qualification approved by your local council
- a paediatric first aid course
- training in safeguarding children
- training in food hygiene
Your first step is to look at Ofsted’s pre-registration briefing on becoming a childminder.
Your local council may also be able to give you advice and financial help on setting up your childminding business.
You'll find information on careers and courses in childcare from:early years career progression map.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- sensitivity and understanding
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with others
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- excellent verbal communication skills
- customer service skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
- being able to use a computer terminal or hand-held device may be beneficial for this job.
Restrictions and requirements
You'll need to:
- pass enhanced background checks
- pass a medical check
What you'll do
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- providing inspirational learning activities
- providing a range of free play activities, both indoors and outside
- planning, preparing and serving meals
- changing nappies and making up bottles for babies
- taking children on outings
- taking older children to and from playgroup or school
- working with other local childcare professionals to support children's learning and development
You could work from home.
Your working environment may be outdoors some of the time and physically demanding.
Career path and progression
With experience you could expand your business and take on a childcare assistant. You could also become a network coordinator, supporting other local childminders.
With further training you could become a tutor on childminding courses. You could also move into a related job like nursery worker, playworker, community play leader or teaching assistant.
Apprenticeships In England
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a Childminder right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
Courses In England
- Provider: Blackburn College
- Start date: 04 February 2019
- Location: BLACKBURN
- Provider: CRACKERJACK TRAINING LIMITED
- Start date: 23 January 2019
- Location: Birmingham