How to become a fence installer
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You can start by doing a college course, for example:
- Level 1 Award in Construction Skills
- Level 2 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery
This would teach you some of the skills needed for the job. You could then look for a trainee position with a fencing company.
You'll usually need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You can do a fencing installer intermediate apprenticeship.
There are no set entry requirements but it may help you to get in if you have:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly to employers if you have some experience in a practical job like landscape gardening or construction.