How to become a cavity insulation installer
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could learn some relevant skills through a college course like:
- Level 1 Award in Construction Crafts
- Level 2 Diploma in Building Insulation Treatments
- Level 2 Certificate in Construction Operations
- Level 2 Certificate in Construction and Building Crafts
These courses will give you some of the skills and knowledge you'll need to apply for trainee jobs.
You may need:
- 2 or fewer GCSEs at grades 3 to 1 (D to G), or equivalent, for a level 1 course
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
The following apprenticeships are relevant to this role:
- commercial thermal insulation operative intermediate apprenticeship
- industrial thermal insulation technician advanced apprenticeship
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could apply directly for jobs. Employers will usually look for GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) in subjects like English, maths or design and technology.
Experience in construction, lagging or cladding could be useful.