You could start in the wine trade as a sales assistant for an off-licence chain, a wine wholesalers or a supermarket.
How to become a wine merchant
You can get into this job through:
- working towards this role
- applying directly
- a graduate training scheme
- a professional course from a private training provider
You can apply directly to get into this job. You'll usually need retail experience and extensive product knowledge to be an independent wine merchant.
You could start work with a large wine retailer as a graduate management trainee, if you have a degree. Employers will accept most subjects.
You could also take training through the Wine & Spirit Education Trust to build up your knowledge of the industry.
The ability to speak French, Spanish, Portuguese, German or Italian might be useful for working with overseas wine exporters.
You'll find more advice about working in wine retail through the Wine & Spirit Education Trust.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with others
- to be flexible and open to change
- maths knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- customer service skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Restrictions and requirements
You'll need to:
For retail sales you must be at least 18 years old.
What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- ordering and displaying stock
- organising promotions, including wine tastings
- offering advice on wines and serving customers
- taking payment for goods
- managing sales targets
- keeping accounts and records
- following and enforcing the legal requirements for the sale of alcohol
- recruiting, training and organising staff
You could work at a store or at a client's business.
Career path and progression
With experience you could become an independent wine merchant. You’ll need funds and a well-researched business plan.
You could also progress to become a Master of Wine (MW). This is the British wine trader’s highest qualification.
Apprenticeships In England
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a wine merchant right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
Courses In England
- Provider: BLACKPOOL AND THE FYLDE COLLEGE
- Start date: 05 June 2021
- Location: Blackpool
- Provider: LANCASTER AND MORECAMBE COLLEGE
- Start date: 05 June 2020
- Location: Lancaster
JobsIn the United Kingdom
The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.