You could apply directly to become a window cleaner with a company, buy an existing round or set up your own business. You don't need any formal qualifications to do this.
How to become a window cleaner
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
- specialist training with a professional body
Employers will be interested in your practical skills, ability to work at height, and your awareness of health and safety regulations and good practice.
Professional and industry bodies
You can join the Federation of Window Cleaners for professional development training and to make industry contacts.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- sensitivity and understanding
- ambition and a desire to succeed
- excellent verbal communication skills
- customer service skills
- knowledge of public safety and security
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and Requirements
You'll need to:
- be able to cope with working at height
- have a good level of fitness
You may need a driving licence and your own vehicle, especially if you're self-employed.
What you'll do
- mix cleaning chemicals and detergents
- use ladders
- use water-fed poles
- clean windows on high buildings and use cradles or ropes
- keep a record of payment or complete customer reports
- safely store and transport equipment
- look for and bid for new business
Your working environment may be at height and outdoors in all weathers.
Career path and progression
You could work for contract cleaners or specialist window cleaning firms. With experience, you may be able to progress to become a supervisor or manager.
You may start your own business, working alone or employing staff.
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a window cleaner right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
- Provider: PETERBOROUGH CITY COUNCIL
- Start date: 19 April 2021
- Location: PETERBOROUGH
- Provider: EALING, HAMMERSMITH & WEST LONDON COLLEGE
- Start date: 02 August 2021
- Location: Offsite
The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.
Take an assessment to learn more about your skills and the careers that might suit you.