How to become a sterile services technician
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could do a college course that may give you an advantage when applying for trainee roles.
- Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science
- A level Biology or Chemistry
- T level for Healthcare Science Assistants
You may need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English, maths and science
- A levels or equivalent qualifications
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths for a T level
You could start by taking a healthcare science intermediate apprenticeship or higher apprenticeship for healthcare science associates.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) and A levels, or equivalent, for a higher or degree apprenticeship
You can get some work experience by volunteering in the NHS. This could help if you apply for an apprenticeship or a job.
You can apply directly for jobs if you've got some of the relevant skills and experience needed for this role.
There are no set requirements but you'll usually need good literacy and numeracy skills. Some employers may ask for GCSEs or equivalent.