You can do a Bachelor of Education (BEd) or a degree in a subject that relates to the national curriculum. You can go into teaching after graduation if your course includes qualified teacher status (QTS).
If you have a degree in a curriculum subject without QTS, you can get it by completing one of the following:
- a postgraduate teacher training course at university
- a school-based training programme
Most teaching courses have sections on teaching children with special educational needs.
GOV UK has details on university and school-based postgraduate courses.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, including English and maths
- GCSE science at grade 9 to 4 (A* to C) for primary school teaching
- 2 A levels or equivalent
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study