How to become a personal trainer
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could take a college course to help you get into this career. Courses include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Instructing Exercise and Fitness
- Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
- 4 or 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, for a level 3 course
You could do a personal trainer advanced apprenticeship.
You could do a similar role in the forces through an apprenticeship to become a physical training instructor.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You can apply to become a personal trainer or set up your business, if you've got qualifications and experience as a fitness coach or gym instructor.
It's usual to have a certificate in first aid that includes cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
You can find out more about careers in exercise and fitness from the National Register of Personal Trainers.