How to become an order picker
You can get into this job through an apprenticeship or by applying directly.
Depending on where you work, you could do a:
- warehouse operative intermediate apprenticeship
- express delivery sortation hub operative intermediate apprenticeship
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly to be an order picker.
You might need:
- GCSEs in maths and English
- computer skills to use online sales systems and stock control scanners
- to do a short test at interview to check your practical skills
You might find it useful for some jobs if you've done forklift training.
Order picker jobs can often be temporary, part-time or available through an agency.
You can find out more about warehouse work from the United Kingdom Warehousing Association (UKWA) and from Generation Logistics.