You can study for a degree in oceanography or a related subject, like:
- ocean science
- environmental science
Employers are increasingly looking for postgraduate qualifications, like a master's or PhD. They also value experience of working in marine science or oceanography research.
You can get experience through:
- studying for a degree that includes a year in industry with a research organisation
- a placement or internship in a laboratory or marine research centre
You can find marine companies and research organisations through the Society for Underwater Technology.
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), including English, maths and a science
- 3 A levels, including at least one science subject
- a degree in a relevant subject for postgraduate study