Working as a volunteer lock keeper during the busier summer months is a good way to start, and you'll be trained on the job in lock operations and safety.
How to become a lock keeper
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
Volunteering and experience
The Canal & River Trust has more information about work and volunteering opportunities.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with others
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- knowledge of public safety and security
- sensitivity and understanding
- physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- knowledge of English language
- being able to use a computer terminal or hand-held device may be beneficial for this job.
What you'll do
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- managing lock bookings from waterway users approaching the locks
- opening and closing lock gates safely by hand or using a computer
- carrying out general maintenance on lock mechanisms
- opening relief sluices in bad weather or flooding
- clearing rubbish and weeds from the lock
- giving advice to waterway users in person or by radio
- reporting incidents like fly-tipping, poaching and damage to wildlife
- talking to community groups and schools about your work
You could work on rivers and canals.
Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers and physically demanding.
You may need to wear safety clothing and a uniform.
Career path and progressionWith experience, you may be able to move into coordinating volunteer training or deal with fundraising for waterway conservation projects.
Apprenticeships In England
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a lock keeper right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
Courses In England
- Provider: WORKERS EDUCATIONAL ASSOCIATION (WEA)
- Start date: 14 May 2019
- Location: Leicester