How to become a lifeguard
You can get into this job through:
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- training with professional bodies
You can complete a leisure team member intermediate apprenticeship to get into this role.
To get onto an apprenticeship, you'll find it useful to have:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You may be able to work as a pool attendant or assistant, for example in a leisure centre, and take lifeguard qualifications on the job.
If you want to work as a pool lifeguard you'll need one of the following qualifications:
To be a beach lifeguard, you'll need to complete the National Vocational Beach Lifeguard Qualification (NVBLQ).
You can complete the qualifications by:
- joining a local club as a volunteer and training with them
- training with a professional body
Once you're qualified, you can also apply to work with the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.