How to become a hypnotherapist
You can get into this job through:
- a specialised course run by a professional body
You could do a course recognised by one of the professional bodies related to hypnotherapy, including:
- National Council for Hypnotherapy
- The National Hypnotherapy Society
- British Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- General Hypnotherapy Standards Council and General Hypnotherapy Register
Courses usually involve practical workshops, plus self-study and written assignments. You may have an advantage when applying for courses if you have a background in healthcare or counselling.
Some hypnotherapy courses are aimed at qualified psychologists or healthcare professionals. You'll need a relevant degree or professional qualification for these.
Most hypnotherapists are self-employed so it will help if you have some experience of running a business.
Professional and industry bodies
You could join an accredited register for professional development and to make industry contacts.
You can find out more about careers in hypnotherapy from the British Society of Clinical Hypnosis.