How to become a human resources manager
You can get into this job through:
- a university course
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- specialist courses run by professional bodies
You'll need a a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree course in:
- human resources management
- business management and human resources
- business with languages
You could also do a postgraduate course in human resource management if you have a first degree.
You'll usually need:
- 1 or 2 A levels, or equivalent, for a foundation degree or higher national diploma
- 2 to 3 A levels, or equivalent, for a degree
- a degree in any subject for a postgraduate course
You could do a college course like:
- Level 5 Diploma in Business Management and Human Resources
- Level 5 Diploma In Human Resource Management
Entry requirements for these courses vary.
You can get into this role through a HR consultant partner higher apprenticeship, or senior people professional degree apprenticeship.
Employers will set their own entry requirements.
You could start as an assistant in a human resources department and work your way up through training and promotion.
You can do professional qualifications in human resources, either online or at a training centre, approved by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
Some companies also have general management or human resources graduate training schemes.
Professional and industry bodies
You can join the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development for professional recognition, training opportunities and to make industry contacts.
You'll find more advice about careers in HR through the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.