You can apply directly for jobs. Experience in catering, food service or customer service will be helpful. Some employers may ask for GCSEs, including English and maths.
How to become a fish frier
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
- specialist courses run by an industry body
You can do specialist food safety and health and safety courses through the National Federation of Fish Friers. They also offer short courses in fish frying and fish and chip shop management.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- sensitivity and understanding
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to enjoy working with other people
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- customer service skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and Requirements
Some employers may ask for a food hygiene certificate, although you can often get this on the job.
What you'll do
In your day-to-day tasks you may:
- take stock deliveries from suppliers
- prepare and cook food
- serve customers and make up orders
- take payments
- change oil in the fryers
- keep eating and work areas clean and tidy
- order stock from wholesalers
You could work at a restaurant or in a food outlet.
Your working environment may be hot.
Career path and progression
With experience you could become a shop supervisor or manager.
You could also move into catering management or set up your own business.
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a fish frier right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
- Provider: BLACKPOOL AND THE FYLDE COLLEGE
- Start date: 05 January 2021
- Location: Blackpool
- Provider: HARTLEPOOL COLLEGE OF FURTHER EDUCATION
- Start date: 30 September 2020
- Location: HARTLEPOOL
The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.