How to become an engineering operative
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could take a college course to learn some of the skills needed for this job. Relevant courses include:
- Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Operations
- Level 2 Diploma in Engineering
- Level 2 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
You could also do a qualification aimed at a particular industry, for example a Level 2 Diploma in Introduction to Renewable Energy Engineering.
You may need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could start by doing an engineering operative intermediate apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly for vacancies. It might help if you have a few GCSEs, especially in maths, English or design and technology. You'll usually work alongside an experienced member of staff to learn the skills to do the job.