How to become an engineering operative
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- applying directly
You could take a college course to learn some of the skills needed for this job. Relevant courses include:
- Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Operations
- Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Technologies
- Level 2 Diploma in Engineering
- Level 2 Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
You may need:
- 2 or more GCSEs at grades 9 to 3 (A* to D), or equivalent, for a level 2 course
You could start by doing an engineering operative intermediate apprenticeship.
You'll usually need:
- some GCSEs, usually including English and maths, or equivalent, for an intermediate apprenticeship
You can apply directly for jobs if you have engineering experience. This could be from mechanical servicing or maintenance, fitting, fabrication or electrical work.